Are you unhappy with your smile but are concerned you missed the treatment age window? Did you begin researching braces, only to stop, shake your head, and say, “I’m not a teenager anymore,” and close the tab? Well, Beam Orthodontics has good news for you! The question, “Am I too old for braces?” has a very easy and short answer—no! You’re not too old for braces. Though braces are generally associated with children and teenagers, they are not the only ages that can utilize orthodontic services. Anyone with good oral health seven years or older can see an orthodontist! There’s no maximum age!
Advancements In Orthodontics
Thanks to modern technology, orthodontic treatment is more widely available and convenient for patients of all ages, no matter their lifestyle. Dr. Paxon and the Beam Orthodontics team strive to stay up-to-date on the latest amazing tools and treatment techniques to create personalized orthodontic plans for each patient!
Benefits Of Getting Braces As An Adult
The number of adults in orthodontic treatment is growing, and for good reason! Let’s check out a few of the benefits that are motivating adults to get treatment:
- Improved Oral Health: Overcrowded teeth are more challenging to clean than straight teeth, leading to a build-up of plaque and bacteria that causes bad breath, tooth decay, gum disease, and more.
- Improved Lifestyle: Crooked teeth can decrease your chances of getting a job, having second dates, and making friends.
- Safer & More Comfortable Eating Experience: Malocclusion can make chewing challenging and increase your risk of choking. In severe cases, it can lead to poor nutrition, vitamin deficiencies, and digestive problems.
- Reduced Pain: You are likely to suffer from dry mouth, migraines, and jaw pain from malocclusion. This discomfort in the jaw or mouth can make talking, eating, and performing oral hygiene unpleasant.
- Improved Mental Health: Oral health issues can lead to depression, anxiety, isolation, and low self-esteem.
- Easier Breathing: Poor alignment can create narrow air passageways, which can make it difficult to breathe.
- Reduced Teeth Damage: Grinding and friction from improper teeth and jaw placement can produce abnormal wear and tear on the teeth.
Treatment Options for Adults
Thanks to modern technology, adults have various treatment routes to pick from that will be minimally invasive to their day-to-day lives. Beam Orthodontics is proud to offer multiple choices for patients of all ages.
- Aesthetics and Discretion: Clear aligners are virtually invisible, allowing for a discreet treatment experience. They’re custom-made to fit snugly over your teeth, making them a popular choice for those who prioritize aesthetics.
- Flexibility: One of the main advantages of clear aligners is their removability. You can take them out for meals and special occasions, offering flexibility not found in traditional braces. Please note this removability means you have to keep up with your orthodontic appliances and are responsible for following the wear instructions! If you don’t, you won’t have any progress!
- Treatment Time: Clear aligners can often deliver results in a timeframe comparable to or even shorter than traditional braces, depending on your needs.
- Reliability: Metal braces have been a staple in orthodontics for decades. They’re durable, reliable, and can tackle a wide range of orthodontic issues.
- Visibility: Dr. Paxon uses modern metal braces with the latest updates, meaning they’re more comfortable and less noticeable than ever before.
- Lifestyle: You will be required to change your diet and oral hygiene routine to keep your oral health and braces in good condition. Fortunately, these changes are only temporary and totally worth it! Another bonus is that you don’t have to remember to wear or keep up with your appliances because they’re not removable!
- Subtle Appearance: Ceramic braces blend seamlessly with the natural color of your teeth.
- Strength: They’re made of sturdy ceramic materials but might be slightly more fragile than metal braces. Regardless, they can effectively address many orthodontic challenges with proper care.
- Maintenance: Though clear braces are stain-resistant, they are not stain-proof. Regular cleaning and being mindful of certain foods help maintain their pristine appearance. Like metal braces, you must change your oral hygiene routine and diet to maintain good health and braces’ condition.
What options are available depends heavily on your orthodontic needs; however, most adults qualify for at least one option. When choosing which you would prefer, we encourage you to realistically think about how the treatment will affect your lifestyle. For example, you don’t want to pick metal braces if you aren’t willing to change your diet!
Give Yourself A Reason To Have A Beaming Smile With Beam Orthodontics!
Discover the difference a radiant smile can make. As the sole orthodontist in the area, Dr. Paxon offers unparalleled expertise and care. Why wait? Schedule your FREE consultation with us in Penticton, and let us help your smile shine at its brightest.